Second career is a government program designed to help people who were laid-off due to the recession from closing, downsizing, declining, or relatively low expected employment growth, with skills training to help them find jobs in high-demand occupations in Ontario and financial support (not a loan)
Second Career helps people get the training or education they need to get a good job. It provides financial help to pay up to $28,000 that may cover:
- Tuition (up to $10,000 – which will be deducted from the full financial help)
- Living expenses
- Disability Supports
- Help caring for dependents
- Other living and training costs
Those who qualify may have some or all of these costs covered within the Second Career Strategy. In order to find out if you qualify for Second Career or any other government funding, all candidates must visit an Employment Ontario assessment centre for an assessment interview
Things Are Looking Up!
Open yourself up to new opportunities by getting trained for a new career! Check out all the ways in which Second Career can make your future something to smile about:
- Funding for You: The Ontario Government set out to help people recently laid off by directing millions of dollars toward getting Ontarians retrained and back to work.
- New Directions: Discover hundreds of potential careers that your background and skills fit perfectly. Second Career gives you a second chance!
- New skills: Going back to college or university is empowering. Learn the tools of a new trade that can be applied to a thriving career in today’s workforce.
- Career Guidance: Both public and private institutions offer excellent training for careers but how will you know what job is right for you? Browse our listings then visit a Second Career assessment center to figure out what job is right for you.
- A Fresh Start: It’s not uncommon to switch careers nowadays. It gives us a chance to learn something new, try out a different field and stay excited about our work!
- Support: Second Career is not a loan. It’s money that the Ontario government is giving away to people who have been negatively impacted by the economy. It’s there for you so take advantage!